June 29, 2023 – This week, Mental Health Research Canada released a new report, based upon extensive research conducted for MHRC by Pollara Strategic Insights: Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace. In partnership with Canada Life and Workplace Strategies for Mental Health, this study examines indicators of mental health in Canadian workplaces. It is informed by data collected and analysed by Pollara from amongst more than N=5,500 survey respondents in March-April 2023.
A few interesting findings include:
- 21% of educators and 22% of first responders feel it is rarely or never safe to speak up at work.
- Only a third (34%) of educators believe difficult situations at work are dealt with effectively.
- Only 29% of retail workers feel they are paid fairly for the work they do.
- Six-in-ten (63%) respondents in working the health care and retail sectors indicate high turnover is a significant issue.
- Racialized Canadians indicated feeling less job security (58% felt secure) compared to 71% for non-racialized Canadians.